The Emerge Project (TEP) — Brazil, South Africa, USA, Remote
TERM: 6 months minimum
VOLUNTEER POSITION: Part-time, Minimum 5 hours per week
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: August 19, 2022
Are you troubled by the negative ways in which Black people are portrayed in the media and society?
Do you believe in the power of storytelling to change mindsets and behaviors, particularly in relation to Black people?
Do you want to be part of an emerging nonprofit aiming to do just that?
ABOUT THE EMERGE PROJECT:
Until the lion tells his story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
The Emerge Project (TEP) is a storytelling project that highlights the ways in which Black entrepreneurs and community leaders drive growth and development at the grassroots level in South Africa and Brazil. We use short films, photo essays, articles, and blogs to show the real people and the real movements that are driving change at the grassroots level, with an initial focus on Johannesburg, South Africa, and Salvador, Brazil. We envision a world where the prevailing narrative about Black people is written primarily by them, reflects their value and diversity and includes nuanced, uplifting elements that inspire Black young people to generate positive change in their communities.
The ideal candidate for this volunteer role will be a front end developer with experience maintaining WordPress websites.
This motivated and passionate individual will be joining an all-volunteer team of passionate and progressive professionals who are invested in shifting the ways in which Black people are perceived. The Website Coordinator will report to a member of TEP’s Advisory Council.
- Create, manage, and update dynamic content as needed
- Advise on resources for tools and content
- Organize and support a strategy to catalog existing content
- Work with the TEP Advisory Council to establish an information mapping strategy
- Contribute to design concepts for new landing pages to optimize engagement, keep our community informed, and incorporate new content
- Routinely install updates to ensure site security
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Assist with the conceptualization, development, and maintenance of new web-based content, features, and tools.
- Manage updates, changes, and feature additions to existing pages to ensure site security.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
- 1-2+ years WordPress frontend web development experience, including experience creating custom themes or plugins.
- A working understanding of and experience using ACF for WordPress.
- Experience working within and building out design systems.
- Strong understanding of the entire website design and development process, including working knowledge of: git or other versioning systems, configuring services such as web-hosting and dns systems, mobile responsive design, WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility standards, and privacy/security standards.
- Problem-solving, can do attitude.
- Proactive communicator. Takes initiative to share information about project status and elevates problems when necessary.
- Strong attention to detail.
Please send your CV and letter of interest to email@example.com by August 19, 2022.